All too often made with cheap sweet-and-sour mix, Sours—whiskey bourbon, and the rest—get a bad rap. But when a Bourbon Sour is made properly, and with the addition of an egg white, it’s easy to see why the drink’s such a classic.
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce Rich Simple Syrup (see Game Plan note)
- 1 dash angostura bitters
Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Add bourbon, egg white, lemon juice, and rich simple syrup and shake vigorously for 10 to 15 seconds. Pour into a cocktail glass, top with bitters, and serve.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (or more) bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- An ice cream maker
Stir milk, cream, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a rolling boil (it may look curdled, but this is normal).
Meanwhile, whisk yolks, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl until mixture is pale yellow and sugar dissolves.
Place a medium metal bowl in a large bowl of ice water; set a fine-mesh sieve over metal bowl. Whisking yolk mixture constantly, gradually add hot cream mixture (to prevent the eggs in the yolk mixture from scrambling). Return to pan. Stir custard over low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Immediately strain custard into metal bowl. Let custard cool completely, stirring often.
Stir 1 Tbsp. bourbon and vanilla into custard. Add more bourbon to taste by teaspoonfuls, if desired. Do Ahead: Custard can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
Process custard in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Transfer ice cream to an airtight container, cover, and freeze. DO AHEAD Ice cream can be made 3 days ahead.
In need of a meal today or wish to volunteer your time, money or assistance please visit the following links
Surprise your guests with the earthy and rich flavor of bourbon in this delicious sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange sweet potatoes in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add sugar and bourbon and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper. Bake until sweet potatoes are tender and glazed, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, tossing every 30 minutes. Stir in butter before serving!
Pecan Pie with Bourbon and Ginger
One 9-inch (23cm) pie (8 servings)
I loved the idea of adding three kinds of ginger to pecan pie and using maple syrup as a sweetener. If you don’t have maple syrup, you can go with golden syrup, which is available in well-stocked supermarkets (depending on where you live), or online. I’ve not used it, but some recommend sorghum syrup as another substitute.
Because I’m like that, I veered from the original proportions a bit. One was that I added a few more pecans, and toasted them first, adding an additional handful to the baking sheet to make up for the ones that I nibbled on. ; ) I also added some melted butter to the filling to give it a little extra silky richness.
If you don’t want to use bourbon, dark rum would be a nice substitution, as would Cognac or rye whiskey. If you want to leave out the liquor, just add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and a few drops of lemon juice to counterbalance the brown sugar and maple syrup.
Although I didn’t do it, you could brush the rim with an egg wash – one egg yolks mixed with 1-2 teaspoons of milk, and brush it over the rim before baking the pie. If glazing the rim, it may need to be covered during baking if it gets too dark before the filling is done. You can fashion strips of aluminum foil to cover the rim of the pie if that happens.
For the dough
- 1 1/4 cups (175g) flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (115g) chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
For the pecan pie filling
1 cup (215g) packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (125ml) dark amber maple syrup
3 large eggs, at room temperature
4 tablespoons melted butter, salted or unsalted
3 tablespoons bourbon
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground (dried) ginger
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups (225g) pecan, lightly toasted, very coarsely chopped
1/4 cup (50g) candied ginger, finely chopped
1. To make the dough, mix the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor, or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. (The dough can also be made by hand, in a bowl, with a pastry blended or using your hands.) Add the chilled butter and mix or pulse the dough until the butter is broken up into small pieces about the size of peas.
2. Add 3 tablespoons of ice water and mix until the dough begins to come together. If necessary, add 1 more tablespoon of water if the dough needs it to come together. Turn the dough out on a work surface and give it a few turns with your hands. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface, or between two pieces of parchment paper until it’s about 13-inches (33cm) in diameter. Brush off any excess flour and transfer it to a 9-inch (23cm) pie plate or pan. Tuck the overhanging edges under, between the rim of the pie plate and the dough, and crimp the edge of the dough. Chill the dough in the refrigerator until firm.
4. To bake the pie dough, preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Prick the pie dough a few times with a fork. Line the pie dough with aluminum foil and fill halfway with beans, rice, or pie weights. Bake until the dough is set and starting to get lightly golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Lift out the foil with the weights and bake until the dough is well-browned, about 5 to 8 minutes more. Turn the oven down to 350ºF (180ºC).
5. To make the filling, in a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, maple syrup, eggs, melted butter, bourbon, fresh ginger, ground ginger, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the pecans and candied ginger.
6. Pour the filling into the prebaked tart shell and bake until the center of the pie is seems just about set. It should still jiggle a little. Begin checking it at the 40 minute mark, but it may take 45 to 50 minutes to reach that point of doneness. Remove it from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
Serving and storage: Pecan pie is best served at room temperature and it’s easier to cut when it’s cooled completely. Although it’s no slouch if slightly warm, as long as you don’t mind the pieces looking a little sloppy. Ice cream or whipped cream are fine accompaniments.
The dough can be made up to two days in advance and refrigerated, or frozen for up to two months, either unrolled, or rolled out and fitted into the pan.
The baked pie can be kept at room temperature for up to four days. I’ve not frozen pecan pie but it can probably be done, if well wrapped.
- 3/4 cup Nocello, or other walnut-flavored liqueur
- 1 1/2 cups whiskey or bourbon, such as Maker’s Mark
- 3/4 cup Simple Syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
Bring Nocello, whiskey, simple syrup, and lemon juice to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Divide among 4 mugs, and garnish each with a cinnamon stick.
Here is a yummy recipe to make this month!!
NEW YORK APPLE-BOURBON CAKE
4 medium apples (Cortland, Empire, Jonagold), peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
½ cup canola or vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Whipped cream or Breezy Hill Hard Sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. Place the apples in a large shallow dish and pour the bourbon over the apples. Cover and set aside, stirring occasionally to keep the apples evenly coated with the bourbon.
3. In a medium bowl, beat together the sugar, oil and eggs with a whisk until completely combined.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves into a large bowl. Stir in the nuts, the egg mixture and the bourbon-soaked apples with their liquor.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or Breezy Hill Hard Sauce.
BREEZY HILL HARD SAUCE
2 cups powdered sugar
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2 tablespoons Calvados
In a medium bowl, cream the sugar, butter and Calvados until light and fluffy.
Chill for 2 hours before enjoying it!!
Libations normally contain wine, and also the religious mysteries of Dionysus are often believed to possess utilised wine as an entheogen. In Jewish laws and traditions, wine plays an inherent portion. In Christian solutions wine is utilized inside a sacred ritual referred to as Communion or the Eucharist. In France wine is extremely vital in their lives. It shows that ever because wine is broadly applied. What ever could be the goal either for drinking, ceremony, cooking or drugs, wine has excellent and undesirable effects. You can find a lot of alternatives of wines; it is possible to obtain wine on the web or in the liquor retailer.
Apart from quite a few possibilities and unique techniques to purchase wines, it may also have unique effects. Lets begin with excellent effects; they mentioned that wine is often a protected option for water. It could also serve as an antiseptic for treating wounds and functions as a digestive help. It might also remedy a wide variety of ailments from lethargy and diarrhea to easing the discomfort of kid birth. In France, they use wine for bruises, against depression, anemia, hypertension, hypotension, rheumatism, gout, obesity and dyspepsia.
Some researchers show that red wine is much better than other varieties of alcohol in stopping heart illnesses and higher blood stress. If there are actually excellent effects, needless to say there’s often a vice versa, the poor effects. In line with some researchers and physicians, for those who may have greater than a single or two servings of wine, it may raise the amount of fats known as triglycerides inside the blood and may perhaps bring about higher blood stress, heart failure, obesity, diabetes and stroke. Other adverse effects are liver ailments or liver infection and allergies.
The American Heart Association advocates that males can take two servings of wine every day and 1 for ladies. People today who don’t drink are usually not advised to begin. Workout, diet plan and medication as an alternative to alcohol or wine are suggested for all those persons who’ve higher blood stress. Men and women ought to also cease smoking, do correct exercising and consume correct instead of drinking wine to stop higher blood stress.
Do you drink wine daily or weekly? Let me know! xo
Inside the US, “rye whiskey” is, by law, created from a mash of a minimum of 51 % rye. (Another elements on the mash usually are corn and malted barley.) It can be distilled to no over 160 (U.S.) evidence, and aged in charred, new oak barrels. The whiskey should be place into this kind of barrels at not greater than 125 (U.S.) evidence. Rye whiskey which has been so aged for not less than two many years may possibly be more designated as “straight”, as in “straight rye whiskey”. Rye whiskey was the prevalent whiskey of your northeastern states, in particular Pennsylvania and Maryland, but largely disappeared following Prohibition. A handful of manufacturers, this kind of as Previous Overholt, survived it. Now Heaven Hill, Copper Fox, Jim Beam and Wild Turkey (between other individuals) also create rye whiskeys, as does a distillery at Mount Vernon, the household of George Washington, which sells a edition of your rye Washington created. Rye is presently undergoing a compact but increasing revival inside the U.s.. Canadian rye whisky Canadian whisky is usually called “rye whisky”, considering that historically significantly of your content material was from rye. Without necessity for rye to become applied to produce whiskies together with the legally-identical labels “Canadian Whisky”, “Canadian Rye Whisky” or “Rye Whisky” in Canada, offered they “possess the aroma, taste and character normally attributed to Canadian whisky”, in some instances the corn-to-rye ratio may possibly be as large as 9:one. Most modern Canadian whiskies incorporate only a fraction of rye, with all the exception of Alberta Premium that’s on the list of quite couple of whiskies created from 100% rye mash. In contrast together with the US “straight rye whiskey” counterpart, a minimal of three many years of compact (700l/~185USG or significantly less) wooden barrel aging is needed to the “Canadian Whisky”, “Canadian Rye Whisky” and “Rye Whisky” labels, while they want not be new oak, nor charred. Variations concerning rye and bourbon Rye is identified for imparting what lots of phone a spicey or fruity taste on the whiskey. Bourbon, distilled from at the very least 51% corn, is noticeably sweeter, and tends for being fuller bodied than rye. As bourbon acquired acceptance past the southern United states of america, bartenders more and more substituted it for rye in cocktails like Whiskey Sours, Manhattans, and Outdated Fashioneds, which have been at first manufactured only with rye. All other factors remaining equal, the character in the cocktail is going to be drier with rye. American distillers Roughly twenty US distilleries develop about forty distinctive ryes. Amid them is often a single malt made through the Anchor Brewery of San Francisco, generally known as Outdated Potrero Single Malt Whiskey, one of several handful of single malt whiskeys manufactured while in the U.S.A.
About a dozen Canadian distillers make rye whisky now. Only a couple of create a whisky with bulk rye information, most famously Alberta Distillers’ Alberta Premium and Alberta Springs, and Wiser’s Previous Rye Whisky, lengthy distilled about the shores of Lake Ontario. Well-liked global brand names of Canadian whisky are Canadian Club and Crown Royal. Specialties “Rock and Rye” could be the identify of two distinct drinks: a citrus fruit flavored whiskey-based liqueur produced from American rye bottled by using a little bit of rock candy (crystallized sugar); in addition to a toddy created with rye whiskey, bitters, and rock candy.
Do you like American or Canadian whisky better? Personally, I love Fireball and can’t ever get enough of it – especially being so cheap. Let me know your favs, hearts and kisses.. Meg